Pages

4 February 2013

Today I've been working from photos of my granddad, which I'd taken from each angle in preparation to build this piece.

- I've so far spent from 9 until 5.30 on this and I'm hoping to get it finished by the end of tomorrow so that it has time to be hollowed out, biscuit fired and glaze fired in time for my assessment on the 18th!
- I have still to add hair, eyes, teeth and possibly alter the chin - I will hopefully be able to tell what needs changing when I go back to it tomorrow.



- I made the shoulder and shirt section of the sculpture as accurate as I could before moving onto the head, so I could build it in proportion.


- I then rolled a ball of clay and attached it to the neck and started to work it into a rough version of the head.


- Following this, I added ears and used my hands to alter the shape of the head so it looked more like my granddad.





I'm still not 100% happy with the shape of the head, I have a feeling that it should maybe be longer, but I think it will be clearer when I revisit it tomorrow.