Pages

31 January 2013

Here's this afternoon's second attempt at creating a clay head from one of the drawings of my dad.
I found this drawing much easier to work from as the head wasn't tilted to such a strong angle like with the first one.




-Firstly I made a rough model of the head


- I then started to add shape and detail by taking away and adding on clay.




- I then freely built on the hair- I kept on checking the face from the side and adding on more as what I thought looked alright from above, was actually too thin from the side.


Once happy with the hair, I then added detail to the facial features.
- I found the eye difficult to do as it was very fiddly trying to create eyelashes and I had to redo it in different ways. I also found that the way I made the eye could change the character/ mood of the face.
- After adding detail to the ear, I realised it was too low down, so had to remake it higher up.



- Looking at these photos now, after having a break away from it - I can now see that the ear is probably still too low and the nose needs to be smaller - however I am quite pleased with it as a second attempt as I can see more of a likeness to my dad than in the first one.