Pages

6 February 2013

After spending another day at it, I think I have done as much as I can to this clay sculpture of my granddad before it starts to look overworked.


- Revisiting my piece after a day's break, I could see lots that needed changing to make it have more of a likeness to my granddad. 

- I have basically reworked the whole face today-  bringing the forehead forward, lengthening the chin and moving it back, altering the nose and making the cheeks more full...














I can see from these photos that the neck should be longer, and the nose could be made slightly smaller, however, I am quite proud of my first attempt at a bust of clay as I can see a resemblence to my grandfather.

- I am a bit apprehensive for the next stage -  hollowing out the head as I'm going to have to cut the clay down the middle (infront of the ears) and off the board, then scoop out the clay to about a 1 inch thickness on both sides, then stick the pieces back together using slip - I'm conscious that it may break or disfigure a bit. 

- If I was to make a ceramic head this way again, I think I'd sculpt the head first, then work my way down to the shoulder detail - to avoid the problem I've had this time with the neck being too short.