Pages

29 January 2013


First attempt of translating on of the drawings of my dad's head into a clay sculpture - using red earthenware. 
Although it was frustrating having to repeatedly rework the clay to try to capture the angle of his head, I thoroughly enjoyed having a go at turning the 2D drawing into 3D model.




 - Currently leaving this to go leather hard so I can hollow it out ready for firing.


- After reading the article 'A Potter's Pond' from the March/ April 2007 edition of Ceramic Review, I found Geraldine Hughes' work made wholly from her pond inspiring.
I liked how she had made the glazes using the ash from the 'ancient rhododendron' and 'an old decrepit duck house'.
- I am considering collecting ash from the wood burning stove in our house/ the garden waste fire to make my own natural slips/ glazes to decorate this piece with. By doing this I think it will make my piece more personal.